Welcome! This is the personal blog for the team that makes up the non-profit organization, Love for the Sake of Love. Here, we'll update you on the work we're doing, what is going on with each of us personally, and some of our random thoughts on life. We hope that this blog will give you some insight on each of us and the things we're doing at Love for the Sake of Love. Please choose a category below to get started.


Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's all starting to come together

I probably should have posted this update a couple of weeks ago, but better late than never right?  The elevator pitch for Carolina Challenge went really well, but unfortunately we did not make it to the next round.  Although I can't say I really agree with all of the judges choices, we still learned a lot from the experience.  The judges all said we were really passionate about what we were doing, but Africa was so far off their radar they had a hard time comprehending why we would ever want to leave our comfortable homes here to go serve over there.  It was frustrating, but I realized that we are probably going to be running into this situation a lot.  I'm hoping that I'll know how to approach the situation differently in the future.
I've had a really hard time recently accepting the fact that I'm not going to be in Africa this summer (honestly, I probably wouldn't have left Africa this past August if I knew that it would be 2 years before I was able to go back), but God has been so faithful throughout all of it.  Last week, I was offered a job working in the administrative department for Youth Conference Ministries for the summer. (ycmhome.org)  YCM puts on huge one week Christian conferences for middle and high school students all over the country.  I'm going to spend the first six weeks of my summer helping with all of the preparation for the events and then will spend the rest of my summer going to each of the conferences.  Throughout the summer I'm going to get to work with Chuck Neder, the CEO, and several other key members and absorb everything they know about running a non-profit, fundraising, large scale event planning, missions, and pretty much everything else that would fall under the administrative category.  I feel so under-qualified for the position, but I feel that God really wants to push me out of my comfort zone this summer and stretch me as much as possible.  I think this opportunity would give me so much experience and knowledge, as well as some great contacts that will be able to help establish Love for the Sake of Love in the future.
I've spent a lot of time reflecting on the bible verses Andrew put in the last post.  It really fits the core of what we are trying to do and I'm praying that God will continue to mold us into that image.

-Alison
Logistics Expert

No comments:

Post a Comment