Welcome! This is the personal blog for the team that makes up the non-profit organization, Love for the Sake of Love. Here, we'll update you on the work we're doing, what is going on with each of us personally, and some of our random thoughts on life. We hope that this blog will give you some insight on each of us and the things we're doing at Love for the Sake of Love. Please choose a category below to get started.


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Invisible Children

I watched the movie Invisible Children tonight.  I have seen bits and pieces of it, but this was the first time I had seen it all the way through.  It surprises me that I went so long without seeing it and didn’t realize until tonight that this was the case.
I’m not going to lie, there were some parts of the movie where I was thinking what in the world am I getting myself into?!?  I sat there and tried to figure out how I had agreed to be part of this crazy adventure without considering some of the logistics of what it meant for my life...which may not be the best thing since I’m the Logistics Expert, but I’m working on it.  Honestly, I think God knew what He was doing when He gave me this opportunity without giving me a lot of the details.  He knows I would have probably been too hesitant to go otherwise.  At the time all I knew was that I NEEDED to be back in Africa and that I just wanted to serve.  I’ve been working on reminding myself of this feeling everyday when I get too focused on all of the worldly details of the organization.
I was also a little intimidated by the living conditions I saw.  I know its Africa and I’m all about getting away from the American lifestyle, but it still scared me a little.  I’ve always been one of those people that can adjust to any situation and will try to make the best of it, but I started to consider the possibility of me not being able to handle all of it and ultimately failing.  I know that I’m going to have to trust in God to give me the strength and perseverance I will need and am actually really excited about being in a situation where I will have to depend on God on such a deeper level.  
God also reminded me that my life is not about my personal comfort.  It is about His glory and I know that if I’m following God’s will for my life I will be glorifying Him, no matter what happens to me.  I’ve had a lot of people question why I would want to give up everything I have here to go live in such a dangerous and impoverished area.  For me, I don’t really have an option.  I know that God is calling me to go and therefore, going is the best and only thing I can do with my life right now.
“But God doesn’t call us to be comfortable.  He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn’t come through” -Francis Chan

On the Logistics side of things, I got to meet with Alyssa Benfield last week to talk about fundraising events.  I'm so excited to have Alyssa and her marketing expertise on the team and can't wait to start planning the events.

Alison
Logistics Expert

No comments:

Post a Comment