Welcome! This is the personal blog for the team that makes up the non-profit organization, Love for the Sake of Love. Here, we'll update you on the work we're doing, what is going on with each of us personally, and some of our random thoughts on life. We hope that this blog will give you some insight on each of us and the things we're doing at Love for the Sake of Love. Please choose a category below to get started.


Sunday, July 11, 2010

Last day in the Samburu Hills

We have arrived safely in Malindi. It’s different but equally beautiful here on the coast.  However, as I predicted, my heart is still in South Horr so I wanted to post about my last day working at the school. 
As I mentioned before, my service at South Horr Primary School seemed pretty miniscule. I developed a routine of walking to school with one of the teachers or, on occasion, Stakwell’s niece, Anita. Upon arriving, I would prepare the English and Math lessons for the Standard 8 students and use any remaining prep time to help mark papers or record grades for the other teachers. I would teach in the morning, use any free time to help the teachers, and return to camp at 12:30 to help Mary and Andrea cook and clean for the rest of the day. 
I loved the walk to school. At first it was overwhelming to hear the smaller children chanting, “Mzungui, Mzungui, Alllooooo!” It was also a little unnerving when kids would see me, stop, stare, and then encourage 4 or 5 friends to walk behind me for a bit. In time though, the children got used to seeing me and would just shout from a distance or smile and wave. I also loved walking into Class 8 each morning. It took a day or two for the students to become accustomed to the idea that an American was there for the sole purpose of teaching them. This is a first for South Horr Primary. However, after a couple of getting-to-know-you sessions and me learning all 42 names, the class and I formed a deep and real connection. The final walk to school and into the Standard 8 classroom seemed so familiar and comfortable that it was hard to believe that I wouldn't be returning the very next morning to continue my lessons. 
The last day, I taught one Math and one English lesson. I brought Ben along to photograph the staff I worked with, as well as my class. I had no idea what I was in for. 
After I had taught the first portion of my lesson, I went back to prepare for the other one but was told not to prepare another lesson by the headmaster. He said the students wanted to use that time to see me off. The next few moments were a teary blur. The teachers asked the class secretary, Hassan, to come up and he proceeded to thank me on behalf of the class for my time spent there. He gave me a beautiful hand-made necklace. Other students followed with handmade necklaces and bracelets. Then all of the students stood up and began to sing in English: 
Give me love, oh dear God of glory. 
Give me love. Give me love. 
Give me love, oh dear God of glory. 
Give me love, till I overcome. 
The song continued with the remaining fruits of the spirit: joy, peace, patience...they had to stop there so I could get myself together! This song and the students singing in harmony was literally the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. 

I stopped crying long enough to tell them that they were each very special and that I loved them a lot. I told them that I would think about them and pray for them every single day. I then read Ephesians 1:16-17 aloud: “I have not stopped thanking God for you. I pray for you constantly asking God, the glorious father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to  give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.”
This song and the reading of this scripture was such a beautiful moment for me. I have re-read this post numerous times because my words and explanation won’t do it justice. Just know that God has shown me his glory in so many ways but this has been the most profound. I encourage you, too, to pray for the students of Class 8. As well as the team and the rest of the needs to be met here in Kenya. 
Erin Gamble
Profoundly Humbled

No comments:

Post a Comment