Welcome! This is the personal blog for the team that makes up the non-profit organization, Love for the Sake of Love. Here, we'll update you on the work we're doing, what is going on with each of us personally, and some of our random thoughts on life. We hope that this blog will give you some insight on each of us and the things we're doing at Love for the Sake of Love. Please choose a category below to get started.


Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day

Yesterday, you probably celebrated our Nation's independence by grilling out and watching fireworks. Ben, Andrew, Mundia (our new friend), and I celebrated by taking an overnight trip to Lake Turkana.

Stakwell wanted us to deliver some water to the Turkana tribe and thought it would be good for us to go stay at Lake Turkana for the night. I assume that if there is ever a chance for the Samburu people to "vacation," this is where they go. And so we packed some things into a bag and headed off.

There was a little tension when we dropped off the water because historically, the Turkanas and the Samburus have been enemies. That has subsided a lot since Stakwell introduced Christianity to these people but we made this part of the trip hasty nonetheless. (PS-A member of the Turkana tribe actually led Stakwell to Christ. Ask me about that story later.)

We got to the lodges, unpacked, ate supper, and went to bed. It is much warmer there because the lake creates so much humidity so none of us slept very well. Not to mention that Andrew and I both received insufficient mosquito nets and I spent much of the night deciphering between net and bedsheet while Andrew rigged something up with his knife and the light switch which I still can't figure out.

This morning, we woke up and went to breakfast. Immediately upon leaving the restaurant, we were bombarded with people trying to sell us stuff. Literally bombarded. I felt like Lindsay Lohan coming out of a club. White people mean one thing to people in areas like this: money. Andrew does a nice job of playing body guard, though. With the exception of the African who stuck his head actually in the car and stared directly in my face. But none of us saw that one coming.

We went to the lake next. Andrew was able to get some amazing photos of the team and the scenery. I may not have mentioned this before but this place is so beautiful. So much that mentioning it on a blogpost or taking 100s of pictures won't do it justice. Whether we are driving through the bush, a village, or the barren desert, everything is so preserved that you can't help but see God's glory in it (reference to Rachel Langdon). At the lake, we also bought a fish from a random Turkana man for 30 shillings (about 45 cent). And so now, I am waiting for supper to be ready...Tilapia....jealous Jon, Allyson, and Dad?? :)

On the 3 hour ride back to camp I couldn't help but be blissfully happy. I am so blessed to be here with Andrew and Ben. Our team has such a great dynamic and our ties alone are an example of God's divine intervention. I am also so blessed to see such beauty all around me, both in natural scenery and the people I have been living life with and have grown to love. I guess these last few days have lacked the ABAB pattern and settled into a pattern of contentment and joy. Tomorrow I go back to the school and hopefully learn the rest of my students' names.

Love you all and keep lifting up prayers for God's provision here in South Horr and all of Kenya.

PS - 3 souls were saved at church this Sunday. Amen!

Erin Gamble
Mzungui Ang
"Our white lady"  <-- This is what the younger kids yell when I walk to school. Cute, huh?:)

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful your ABAB pattern has morphed into something more peaceful. I love reading about your adventures and how God is working through you. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete