Welcome! This is the personal blog for the team that makes up the non-profit organization, Love for the Sake of Love. Here, we'll update you on the work we're doing, what is going on with each of us personally, and some of our random thoughts on life. We hope that this blog will give you some insight on each of us and the things we're doing at Love for the Sake of Love. Please choose a category below to get started.


Friday, June 25, 2010

Surreal

If there was ever a doubt that God was calling me here, that has been alleviated. There is no way that I would have the kind of peace that I have consistently had otherwise. But now that I have been here for 2 days, that aspect of God's provision has been blown out of the dirty, undrinkable water.

The night that I arrived, I waited for an hour for my luggage which was a blast. The moment I found had my bags, I turned toward the exit and I see Andrew's dread locks sticking out because he made SURE to make himself visible so I wouldn't freak out. He and Ben have taken care of me so well. I am so glad that God chose my first African experience to be with these two amazing men of God. We stayed at a missionary's house in Nairobi that night. Irene and Ken are from the western US. Their house was REALLY nice. It was as if God was saying, "Hey. Erin. I realize that the 23 hour flying time and smelly Nairobi airport was a lot of breaking you in. So here is a super nice place for you to crash the first night." (And by super nice, He means my own room, a real toilet, and WARM WATER)

The next day, we traveled with Stakwell (who likes meat. camel meat.) to Nanyuki which is about 4 hours away. We stayed there for the night at a hotel with no toilet seat. BUT it did have hot water. At this point God was saying, "Ok. this is REAL Africa but this is just your first full day so I will continue to break you in easily." We went to the markets, and to Nakumatt which is like African WalMart. After an interesting night with crappy mosquito nets, we began our journey to South Horr this morning at 6:00. Imagine driving from Raleigh to Florida. Now imagine a 5 seated Land Rover with 3 Americans and 3 Kenyans. Now imagine that only 2 of the 10 hours are on paved roads but the rest is straight through paths with rocks and pot holes. Dusty, dirty pot holes. 

Needless to say we are in South Horr safely and I am learning so much about this culture. I am also learning about God's love for me, Ben and Andrew, and these people I never even knew existed on the other side of the globe. Danielle Vuke prayed that I would have the right emotions that I needed and then reassured me that I "lacked no good thing." I have had such a spirit of contentment since I boarded the plane at RDU. Regardless of my fear of connections (thanks for the prayers for that by the way), regardless of the extreme lack of luxuries that I am used to, regardless of the bugs that were crawling over the china that our breakfast was served on this morning, and regardless of 10 hours in what would be considered in the US "miserable conditions." God is humbling me, educating me, and hopefully, beginning tomorrow (my first day of NO traveling), he will begin to use me in BIG ways at the school and here at the camp. 

Peace and Blessings and thanks SO much to our families, supporters, friends, and all those that keep us in your thoughts and prayers constantly. It is such a comfort and we LOVE YOU:)

Erin Gamble
Mzungu

1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting. I'm glad to hear you arrived without incident at the luxurious Nairobi Airport. I've been reading about Love for the Sake of Love, and cannot wait to hear more and meet some of your team. I was only 50 miles north of South Horr, in Maua. I hope everything continues to go well, and God continues to bless you and your ministry. What an awesome thing you are doing.

    ReplyDelete