Welcome! This is the personal blog for the team that makes up the non-profit organization, Love for the Sake of Love. Here, we'll update you on the work we're doing, what is going on with each of us personally, and some of our random thoughts on life. We hope that this blog will give you some insight on each of us and the things we're doing at Love for the Sake of Love. Please choose a category below to get started.


Monday, May 21, 2012

Katie's first thoughts...

          My name is Katie Smith and I'm from Atlanta. I've been tagging around with these cool cats (Allison, Mary, Amanda, and Nick) as well. It's taken me a few days to actually write down my thoughts considering i had trouble gathering them.
            Today we went to talk to all the Ubuntu coaches and to hear more about what the organization is about and why they started it and what not. Treswell, Sean, are coaches along with Casey and Austin. Some of the stories they shared of the kids are pretty unbelievable. Treswell had the most inspiring words. As I was writing quotations of things he said, I almost wanted to put “quoted by Ghandi” at the end. He is so passionate about what he does and you can tell he is right where he needs to be. It’s seriously inspiring.
              As they were telling us about Football Forward, it said “boys and girls”… I asked for them to elaborate on the “girl” subject. Usually girls don’t play many sports here because most of the time, they have to mother their siblings sometimes as early as seven. It really got me thinking.. I would love, more than anything, to boost these girls’ confidence and introduce them to a sport that they can excel in. They totally deserve it. And even if it’s not a sport, I would love to introduce them to some type of activity that would take up more of their time to keep them out of trouble, just like Ubuntu has done. We'll be working with a youth group of girls in the Ocean View Methodist Church.
              While Chevonne (a local Ocean Viewer) was talking with us at Imhoff farm coffee, I was taking notes like crazy on things I could possibly speak to these girls. I really hope there is something i can share with them that might possibly change their view on something. Another thing that interested me was their lack of self worth. God made these girls just as perfect in their own skins as anybody elses. I just hope that I, or at least somebody, can get it through to them that they are still God's little princess and are worth much, much more than what they have been brought up to believe.
               They might not know it, but these people might be helping us more than they think we're helping them. I certainly can't wait for what God has in store.

Love and Butterflies,
                                        Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment